Man with assault weapons faces January hearing

0
699
WEBCourtRoundup.jpg

A Jan. 31 preliminary hearing was set Dec. 18 for a Spring Valley man who first came to the public’s attention because he video recorded himself practicing a mass shooting then posted the vid­eo online.

Six felony charges were filed against Steve Homoki, 30, include three child endan­germent charges and three counts of possessing an as­sault weapon in his home.

He isn’t charged with any­thing for making the video­tape from a downtown San Diego hotel.

Deputy District Attorney Wendy Patrick said it was dangerous to Homoki’s three children to have three illegal loaded weapons unsecured in his Spring Valley home.

Homoki allegedly rented a hotel room and videotaped himself pointing weapons out the window on March 22, but apparently nobody noticed it until he posted the video on YouTube in Sept.

Someone who saw the video reported it to the FBI, and agents seized 14 weapons on Dec. 5 when they visited the home, said Patrick.

The prosecutor said the 14 guns were all legally pur­chased, but three were modi­fied to become assault weap­ons.

San Diego Superior Court Judge Joseph Brannigan set bail at $1 million, saying Ho­moki showed “obvious danger to the community” by practic­ing a mass shooting.

Homoki pleaded not guilty and he remains in jail.

  • ••

Sentencing is set for Jan. 24 for Scotty Leon Richard­son after a jury convicted him of attempted murder of an El Cajon motel clerk who was in­jured after Richardson drove his car into the motel office.

The El Cajon Superior Court jury also convicted Richardson, 63, of drunk driv­ing and domestic violence of his wife in a Jan. 10 incident at the Budget Inn Motel on East Main Street.

The motel’s employee, Nate Creekmore, evicted Richard­son for the disturbance with his wife, saying he was just doing his job.

Creekmore moved quickly when Richardson drove his car into the office, but he was injured and taken to a hos­pital.

Jurors deliberated about eight hours over three days before also convicting him of felony assault by a vehicle, domestic violence, and viola­tion of a restraining order.

Richardson, who remains in jail, could get at least nine years in prison.

  • ••

Gustavo Flores, Jr., 39, of Lemon Grove, has been sen­tenced to 13 years in prison for killing Juan Martinez, 47, who was found mortally wounded after knocking on someone’s door.

Sheriff’s deputies respond­ed to a 911 call in the 7600 block of Lemon Avenue in Lemon Grove after Martinez tried to summon help after he had been stabbed on June 21, 2018.

Flores pleaded guilty to voluntary manslaughter and a murder charge was dis­missed. El Cajon Superior Court Judge Robert Amador imposed 11 years for man­slaughter plus one year for the use of a knife. He add­ed another year for Flores’ prior conviction of domestic violence in 2017, according to court records.

“I killed Juan Martinez be­cause of a sudden quarrel or in the heat of passion because I was provoked, and as a re­sult of the provocation I acted rashly without due delibera­tion,” wrote Flores and his attorney on a court document.

Deputies found Martinez, of Lemon Grove, unrespon­sive and he was pronounced dead at 9:19 p.m. at the scene by paramedics.

  • ••

A March 10 trial date has been set for a 20-year-old woman accused of stabbing her grandmother in El Cajon.

The 71-year-old grand­mother testified at a prelimi­nary hearing that Elektra Zaya Delsol stabbed her on April 10 in their home in the 1200 block of North Mollison Avenue.

Initially, the grandmother said a burglar had stabbed her in the back and abdo­men while in the presence of Delsol. Once in the ambu­lance, the grandmother said it was her granddaughter who stabbed her and not a burglar.

Delsol has pleaded not guilty to attempted murder and she remains in jail.